Pages

Tropical Far North Queensland by BlossomFlowerGirl

Queensland Time

Floriade of Flowers

Tropical Far North Queensland

This is about my holiday from Cairns to
Laura, on the lower Cape York Peninsula from
September 2008 to October 2008. Going from Melbourne to Cairns to Port Douglas, to Cooktown and Laura, Cape Tribulation and all the bits in between, and finally back to Cairns for my flight home.
Cheers.

Drive The Daintree


Click on Flag or Select Your Language to Translate

ArabicChinese (Simplified)DutchEnglishFrenchGermanHindiIndonesianItalianJapanesePortugueseRussianSpanishTurkishUrduBengaliNepali

12. Mossman Gorge - Car Hire and the Gorge

Monday 22 September

Today I pick up the hire car and it's off to Mossman Gorge, I caught the local bus up to Sheridan Street - about a 15 to 20 minute ride to Cairns Older Car Hire - I'd booked the "Backpacker" with aircon @ $30 a day, (without aircon it's $25) but they'd stuffed up somehow with a double booking. Mind you, I booked the car over six months in advance, anyway, they organised another one and upgraded me to a $45 vehicle for free. I waited for what seemed an age - then discovered the car was a manual.

Back to the office. They were going to give me a Sirion - problem was it was not there. Eventually I was given a red mazda and was out of there by 10.00am.

In spite of their error, I would recommend them to anyone wanting a car whilst up in Cairns - they had the cheapest prices and were very good to deal with.




Below: A map showing Mossman Gorge. If you click on the blue marker you will see a photo. You can also enlarge the map.

View Mossman Gorge in a larger map


Below: A Wicked Camper.
There are many "Wicked Camper" hire vehicles and all are brightly coloured. This one was parked near where I parked at Mossman Gorge.




Below: Crystal clear waters.



I drove to Mossman Gorge and had my trusty Thermos and morning tea with me at one of the picnic tables there. I found Mossman Gorge rather disappointing because it looked just like Victoria (my home state). I met a Melbourne couple who said the same thing. Later I drove to Daintree Village expecting to see a "village". It was a nice drive though even if there wasn't any village in evidence.



Big Boulders
This is the picture you see in all the travel brochures for Mossman Gorge.

1 comment:

A Wicked Evangelist said...

Beautiful photos! What a great part of the world. Love the photo of the Wicked Camper too, looks like it was inspired by 'Easter Island'!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...